Monday, April 9, 2012

anna knits - seed stitch

I've been trying to think of a way to transition my knitting from winter to spring. This Easter weekend, I had an epiphany: seed stich. I had completely forgotten about this knit one, purl one method, but with all the flowers blooming, seed stich popped into my mind.

  

Flower inspiration from Easter at my Aunt Joanne's house.


I love this idea for DIY Eggshell Planters from the blog Postcards from the Robin's Nest.

Seed stich is achieved by knitting one stich followed by purling the next. You reverse it on the next row so that you purl a previously knitted stitch, and knit a previously purled stitch. You can watch a tutorial here


I'm in the middle of knitting a seed stitch tea cosy with the beautiful "Cherry Blossom" Cascade 220 yarn I recently bought. I knitted the first three rows in garter stitch, and then the next five rows in stockinette stitch before starting the seed stitch, so that I would get the rounded lip at the edge of the cosy. I hope to have a pattern up on anna knits, etc. for this tea cosy soon.

I think I am going to switch back to stockinette stitch for the top so that decreasing is easy. If you would like to make a tea cosy that continues the seed stich all the way to the top, check out this free pattern from Churchmouse Yarns and Teas on Ravelry.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...