Sunday, March 10, 2013

anna reads - anna karenina

I finally finished Anna Karenina. While it took a while to read, it was worth every moment. I had never read Tolstoy before, but I understand now why he is considered one of the greatest writers of all time. The characters were so developed and so nuanced they seemed almost real. While there are many competing themes and story lines throughout the novel - such that it sometimes feels like you are reading multiple books at once - they all come together, and each thread compliments the other story lines and characters beautifully.

For all its complexity, Anna Karenina was surprising easy to read. I would definitely recommend it.

(Love the bookmark? Buy one here!)

I started reading Anna Karenina after watching the movie, which I also loved. I think reading the book after seeing the movie was a good idea, because it helped me to keep track of all the characters and story lines.


For my next read, I decided to go with something lighter. Since I am leaving for Paris on Friday (!), I chose Lessons in French: A Novel by Hilary Reyl. It just came out, and has been fun so far. This is the first book I'm reading on my new mini iPad. So far it is lighter - to carry around and in its subject - than Anna Karenina!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...